Skip to main content

Who Do You Surround Yourself With?


This is one of the articles/lessons that I most appreciate.  Thought I'd revive it and take it to another level =)


They say you become most like the five people you are closest to.

We are truly impacted by everyone we come in contact with. Each one makes an impression somewhat, with various intensities depending on either our closeness to them or the levels of our charges on them (positive attraction or negative rejection). Either way, a simple interaction can leave us forever impacted. Whether we are conscious of it or not (most of us are too busy to pay attention), as we engage with others, our energy  is sparked in various ways.

The people we spend the most time with have a great deal of influence on us and our growth.  Those we surround ourselves with are who we are becoming alike.  Are the five people you are closest to in your life pulling you up to higher levels of yourself?  Or are they bringing you down/holding you back?  Would it be beneficial - and even great - for you to more carefully choose those five people you surround yourself with most?  Perhaps it would shift your life significantly.


The selection of your circle of influence is essential to achieving your goals, greater levels of growth, and living your best life.  This is key.  Many never think about this and just hang out with people out of habit or based on location or other commonalities.  Think for a moment about your mentors.  Do you even know who yours are nowadays?   What changes would you see if you could incorporate one or two of them more into your daily life?


Mentors often contribute to the greatest advances in ourselves.  I see a significant difference in my mindset when I spend time with those who serve as living examples. My greatest motivators are those people that are exuding that which I seek to expand into. 


Mindset is key in fully enjoying our experience and in growing.  Most people who are successful in the ways that are important to us are great examples for us in regards to attitude and belief.  My mentors are people out there doing what I dream about - daily - and enjoying life as much as possible while they're at it.  By surrounding myself by them, I experience an immediate shift in attitude.  I also "download" a greater vision, seeing much more opportunity and possibility. While around them, I receive lots of ideas without any direct attempt.  My whole energy is uplifted just by feeling their essence and being in their presence.  The more I experience this, I learn how to bridge these experiences and reach the same places without needing them to guide me there.

So stop and think for a moment of the five people you look up to the most. Its okay if you can't think of all five now, just give it some thought - right now.  They don't all have to be people you know in real life, but at least half should be.  Take notes of who comes up first.  Then cut it down to the ultimate five for you.

Openly think about it now and keep your mind open to it during the next week. It can be lots of fun to find people you can admire in one way or another.

_____________________________________________________________
BRAINSTORM:
(Jot down the 1st few mentors that come to mind. Its okay to get creative and messy here.)









_____________________________________________________________
TOP 5: The Final List
Who _________ Why/What About Them Is Outstanding___________

1. ____________ _______________________________________

2. ____________ _______________________________________

3. ____________ _______________________________________

4. ____________ _______________________________________

5. ____________ _______________________________________
_____________________________________________________________

Many people are attracted to a mentor who has accomplished what they seek to or is very experienced in something they are curious about (often to the highest degree) and provides source of encouragement.  Others are attracted to people who seem to be really happy with their life...

Outstanding qualities of mentors can be based on ANYTHING, so have fun!  Find silly things that do matter to you. As you explore yourself throughout life, you go through all kinds of phases. In each you learn more about your essential self, your core being, who you are.

I am going through this too and don't want to impact yours, so I'll post mine later...


Once you figure out who they are, get at least one or two of these top 5 in your schedule each week.  If you do not really know a couple of your mentors, or they are super busy, figure out ways to remotely access them.  Perhaps you can tune into some of their recorded teachings or read a book of theirs.  Find a way to saturate yourself with the people in your list as much as possible and be open to adapting it as you continuously grow. =)

Have fun!



by Danielle Crume © 2011

Originally Posted 11/17/09.  Revised 2/11/2011.
   

Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your experience... Thanks!!

Popular posts from this blog

Being Happy - From the *Inside* Out

I've always been a people watcher.  As a young girl, I openly looked at everyone I came in contact with, wondering who was the happiest?  It was a little disheartening during my exploration to uncover that it seemed that almost everyone had a significant amount of unhappiness and troubles in life.  I guess I wanted to live a fairy tale.  Some people, however, had a great time with life, even through its challenges. I noticed that those who were overall most happiest usually had a sense of humor about their experience.  They weren't richer, more beautiful, or better off.  They were just happy with what was and were strong in rolling with it.  Everyone goes through hard times. Being truly happy is not by getting somewhere or accomplishing something.  It is a part of who you are .  It is your character, your essential being, the fabric of you.  Children are often born with a knowing of it, but many of us lose touch with this understand...

Love Is

“…And the greatest of all these is love.” ~Corinthians You could explore and study love for your whole lifetime and still never fully understand it. You may only catch a glimpse of its fascinating possibilities. Love is one of those expansive eternal forces - far beyond our senses’ ordinary perception. It is something many dream of, imagine about, and wait for. Some say love is the essence of all there is and that love is the answer. Some say love hurts or it doesn’t even exist. Some prophets say that there is only love or fear at the root of everything - and that love is the only truth. We all have different versions and understandings of love - which evolve throughout our lifetime. They may range from a feeling for a soul mate to one about a favorite shirt. Love can be a sweet nickname or a feared word. Some express it with tenderness, others with strength. Some say I love you to everyone. Some reserve it only for “the one”. Others never say it at all. It can be as simple a...

Licorice Grandpa

In high school I wrote this story about my beloved Grandpa Chuck.  I just read it again yesterday for the first time in 15 years to my son.  I am very thankful to remember these details I had forgotten and to share the essence of such a wonderful man with my boy.   I also realized how much of an impact he has made on me that still holds in my character today.  In memory of grandpa, here is the story.  Slightly edited. :) Licorice Grandpa My grandpa was simply the best.  There is no way I can describe what an incredible person he was.  He seemed to be the only grandpa alive who was still "a kid" inside.  It is because of these reasons that my grandpa Chuck has made an impact on how I live my life today. One of the best memories I have of my grandpa is going to his house every holiday.  My family would enter my grandparent's huge immaculate house and be overtaken with the strong thick smell of my grandpa's pipe.  As soon as we ...