Skip to main content

The Spirit of the Season: Volunteering on Christmas Day

My boyfriend told me he wanted to volunteer on Christmas day.  I thought he was insane, "Why not volunteer any other day of the year?  Christmas is for family!"


A few weeks later I watched my niece star in a Christmas play put on by her church.  I'm always moved when I see young kids in action, giving it their all, and doing their best.  Especially the kids that I love so dearly.  However, what was most touching about the play was a slideshow that was put on in the middle of it.  It showed people volunteering their time to help others.  

All the sudden, it clicked.  I finally understood what my boyfriend wanted to do.  He wanted to be there for others on a day that it mattered a lot to them, a day that they may not have anyone else to turn to or may feel forgotten.  Suddenly, I felt a strong desire to volunteer on Christmas as well.  Although it's my favorite day of the year with my family, I wanted to give to those who are less fortunate than I during the holiday season.  

So the search began for a worthy cause, a bit later than what would be ideal...  We eventually found exactly what we had asked for: a mom who could not afford to buy her children presents due to a recent situation.  We found the perfect woman on Craigslist.  She is going through a divorce and was just laid off this month.  She has three kids and couldn't afford to buy them any gifts.  Someone donated a Christmas tree, but she didn't have anything to put underneath it.  She couldn't spend the money she had saved up, as she needed it for next month's rent.  She knows she will be back on her feet soon, but this month is tough.  A friend of hers suggested she post up something on Craigslist.  I was the only one who responded besides a guy looking for a date.

I was a bit hesitant at first, wondering if she was "scamming" us or not.  With some helpful guidance from my sister, I decided to trust and give it a shot.  I figured that the worst that would happen is I would learn the lesson of what not to do next time.  I felt good when I talked to her.  My intuition said to go for it.  

On Christmas eve, I went shopping at Target - the LAST thing I had previously wanted to do.  I worked several weeks straight with precise planning to avoid any last minute shopping that would require using a cart in a crowded store.  However, once I had decided to I wanted to do this, my whole mood about last-minute shopping shifted.  I decided to be a shining light in the "tough times".  I didn't mind the cart traffic and I even kept a good attitude the *second* time my cart was stolen.  I found it and stole it back. =)   

After shopping, I got home and wrapped the gifts, prepared for an early trip Christmas morning, and enjoyed my dad's family.  Knowing that I wouldn't see them as much as I wanted, I enjoyed them even more.  On Christmas day I usually see my mom's family.  I would definitely miss them - a lot - but I get to see them very often and I liked that my absence was for a special purpose.  It could even inspire them to volunteer too. 

On Christmas day, I felt a bit rushed.  I had a far drive ahead and wanted the kids to get their gifts as early as possible.  I really wished that they could wake up to them, but that just wouldn't work.  I enjoyed the morning with AJ and Mac waking up to their gifts from Santa.  They were both very excited.  AJ was a bit tired and reflecting back, I wish I would have helped him wake more gently by playing music and being more present with him.  It was our first Christmas we spent apart (he went with his dad for the day) and it ended up being very difficult.  I thought that volunteering may help distract me a bit as well.  However, he was on my mind and in my heart all day.

The drive went remarkably fast even though I felt pretty sleepy.  The family we brought gifts to was very sweet.  The 8 year old boy was so excited and happy.  The 11 year old girl was shy and seemed embarrassed.  The 2 year old baby was probably napping as I didn't see her in the living room.  We didn't stay too long.  We chatted with them a bit.  The mom was very open and nice.  They were all welcoming and grateful.  It felt wonderful to be able to brighten their Christmas day.  I had a feeling that the gifts we picked for each child would be a great match. 

We left them to enjoy their day and reflected on the experience together.  I was very happy to have someone who helped motivate me to do this. 

On the way home I stopped by my mom's for a surprise visit, so I got to see her as well.  The entire day was filled with great blessings.

I'm very thankful I was able to give.  Although I definitely have troubles of my own, it wasn't hard to give what I gave on Christmas day.  I ended up receiving much more than what I gave out - plus learned a lot in the process.  I am glad I finally did some volunteer work.  Next year I will plan earlier and look for opportunities in which my time and energy will be more effective on greater levels.  Going through the efforts this year helped get me started on ideas and taking the first steps toward being more in service to others.  

To the beauty of this cold, dark season...the most spiritual time of year.

Love!







by Danielle Crume © 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Happy - From the *Inside* Out

I've always been a people watcher.  As a young girl, I openly looked at everyone I came in contact with, wondering who was the happiest?  It was a little disheartening during my exploration to uncover that it seemed that almost everyone had a significant amount of unhappiness and troubles in life.  I guess I wanted to live a fairy tale.  Some people, however, had a great time with life, even through its challenges. I noticed that those who were overall most happiest usually had a sense of humor about their experience.  They weren't richer, more beautiful, or better off.  They were just happy with what was and were strong in rolling with it.  Everyone goes through hard times. Being truly happy is not by getting somewhere or accomplishing something.  It is a part of who you are .  It is your character, your essential being, the fabric of you.  Children are often born with a knowing of it, but many of us lose touch with this understand...

Licorice Grandpa

In high school I wrote this story about my beloved Grandpa Chuck.  I just read it again yesterday for the first time in 15 years to my son.  I am very thankful to remember these details I had forgotten and to share the essence of such a wonderful man with my boy.   I also realized how much of an impact he has made on me that still holds in my character today.  In memory of grandpa, here is the story.  Slightly edited. :) Licorice Grandpa My grandpa was simply the best.  There is no way I can describe what an incredible person he was.  He seemed to be the only grandpa alive who was still "a kid" inside.  It is because of these reasons that my grandpa Chuck has made an impact on how I live my life today. One of the best memories I have of my grandpa is going to his house every holiday.  My family would enter my grandparent's huge immaculate house and be overtaken with the strong thick smell of my grandpa's pipe.  As soon as we ...

Love Is

“…And the greatest of all these is love.” ~Corinthians You could explore and study love for your whole lifetime and still never fully understand it. You may only catch a glimpse of its fascinating possibilities. Love is one of those expansive eternal forces - far beyond our senses’ ordinary perception. It is something many dream of, imagine about, and wait for. Some say love is the essence of all there is and that love is the answer. Some say love hurts or it doesn’t even exist. Some prophets say that there is only love or fear at the root of everything - and that love is the only truth. We all have different versions and understandings of love - which evolve throughout our lifetime. They may range from a feeling for a soul mate to one about a favorite shirt. Love can be a sweet nickname or a feared word. Some express it with tenderness, others with strength. Some say I love you to everyone. Some reserve it only for “the one”. Others never say it at all. It can be as simple a...