Skip to main content

TMI – Lowering Information Intake

Curiosity is one of my favorite characteristics. Someone who is genuinely inquisitive and open to learning more and more is invigorating and exciting to be around. I love information and learning. However, I’ve found that many of us have a tendency to over-consume information that isn’t particularly valuable to us. This habit of taking in excess information dilutes attention and delays progress.

Many haven’t even considered there could be such a thing as too much information. Below are some things to ponder on and open to in your exploration of yourself and your lifestyle.

Choose your sources wisely. Be conscious of your intention with each information source you decide to look into. Many news teams prioritize banking on advertising with techniques such as focusing on fearful topics to keep viewers glued. Our thinking and mental dialog – also known as our programming or internal script – creates our perspective on life, heavily weighing on each experience we have. All information streaming through your head throughout the day affects your attitude and presence. Selectively allow in that which feels nourishing, like a daily bath, or serves as relaxation. Focus on sources that are beneficial and in alignment with what you most truly need to learn about or be reminded of.

Rather than taking what is handed to you, go out there and explore information suppliers. Public programming, Current TV, blogs, and YouTube are all great venues of information that is not so one-sided. Try researching a particular topic rather than just reading whatever is on the menu for the day.

Treasure Your Attention. Some intake excess information and allow it to eat up a lot of attention, delaying creative outflow. Many become accustomed to the habits of taking information in – reading the paper, watching TV, or perusing a magazine – so much that they give up a good portion of their output capacity and/or quality in the process. There is an imbalance. A natural outward focus is the standard for most Americans. Attention is focused on the outside world with little invested into the internal one.

There are many who know all about the world and their industry, yet have no clue what is going on with their self. Attention is more heavily invested into taking in new information than applying knowledge and taking the actions to make things happen. Staying in touch with the world while not getting too caught up in the drama is a nice way to walk the thin line. Just reading the headlines is often enough to know about what is going on. Most can let go of more than half of what they read and still take in a healthy dose of information. Think of alternative ways of staying connected while lightening your intake. Often times we can turn to people we trust who naturally keep up on everything themselves. Creating a council who you discuss happenings with can save you hours of research time and foster relationships as well.

Focus Your Valuable Energy. Many get into a routine of keeping up on information that is useless or inapplicable. You can enjoy much more daily free time by letting go of some of the things that you currently stay in-tune with, a lot of which has no real benefit to you and is done almost robotically. Rather than take in more information that you can do anything with, let some go and free up your energy. Perhaps use the free time to outline your actions based on what you learned. Baby steps add up.

How much of your day do you give to keeping up the news? What are your usual sources of information? What amount of information keeps you in the loop but also allows you free space for yourself?

To your free-thinking creative space,

Danielle Marie Crume

Comments

  1. This totally makes so much sense. I never really thought about it. Spending too much time on things that don't matter much. Thanks I love reading your blog , it is so uplifting and useful.

    Have a great Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your experience... Thanks!!

Popular posts from this blog

Being Happy - From the *Inside* Out

I've always been a people watcher.  As a young girl, I openly looked at everyone I came in contact with, wondering who was the happiest?  It was a little disheartening during my exploration to uncover that it seemed that almost everyone had a significant amount of unhappiness and troubles in life.  I guess I wanted to live a fairy tale.  Some people, however, had a great time with life, even through its challenges. I noticed that those who were overall most happiest usually had a sense of humor about their experience.  They weren't richer, more beautiful, or better off.  They were just happy with what was and were strong in rolling with it.  Everyone goes through hard times. Being truly happy is not by getting somewhere or accomplishing something.  It is a part of who you are .  It is your character, your essential being, the fabric of you.  Children are often born with a knowing of it, but many of us lose touch with this understand...

Licorice Grandpa

In high school I wrote this story about my beloved Grandpa Chuck.  I just read it again yesterday for the first time in 15 years to my son.  I am very thankful to remember these details I had forgotten and to share the essence of such a wonderful man with my boy.   I also realized how much of an impact he has made on me that still holds in my character today.  In memory of grandpa, here is the story.  Slightly edited. :) Licorice Grandpa My grandpa was simply the best.  There is no way I can describe what an incredible person he was.  He seemed to be the only grandpa alive who was still "a kid" inside.  It is because of these reasons that my grandpa Chuck has made an impact on how I live my life today. One of the best memories I have of my grandpa is going to his house every holiday.  My family would enter my grandparent's huge immaculate house and be overtaken with the strong thick smell of my grandpa's pipe.  As soon as we ...

Love Is

“…And the greatest of all these is love.” ~Corinthians You could explore and study love for your whole lifetime and still never fully understand it. You may only catch a glimpse of its fascinating possibilities. Love is one of those expansive eternal forces - far beyond our senses’ ordinary perception. It is something many dream of, imagine about, and wait for. Some say love is the essence of all there is and that love is the answer. Some say love hurts or it doesn’t even exist. Some prophets say that there is only love or fear at the root of everything - and that love is the only truth. We all have different versions and understandings of love - which evolve throughout our lifetime. They may range from a feeling for a soul mate to one about a favorite shirt. Love can be a sweet nickname or a feared word. Some express it with tenderness, others with strength. Some say I love you to everyone. Some reserve it only for “the one”. Others never say it at all. It can be as simple a...