Skip to main content

Out of Balance

For the last week I have been in overdrive – working way beyond my usual template of time – in an effort to make a big leap forward.

Things needed to shift one way or another so I decided which way I preferred and went full blast ahead, working hard all day and all night.

The results were far better than I conservatively foresaw, however it was extremely draining. After a week of working myself so hard, I spent nearly three full days recuperating my energy. I felt almost energy-less throughout those three days without much ambition to do anything extra at all. Actually it was difficult to just get done what needed to be done.

What made it so tiring was that I had put aside my most treasured daily rituals and doing what makes my heart sing – all to focus on leaping through this tight window. I gave up many of those things that usually refresh and replenish my energy (such as baths, writing, games, etc). I sacrificed my usual vast timelessness for results. I did this knowing it’s not my usual preference, but did it anyway in a temporary effort to create large movement.

The beauty of trying this experiment was not only the pay-off (results), but also in realizing how blessed I am in my daily lifestyle. Over the past several years, I’ve invested a lot of energy into uncovering what my most fulfilling rituals are and implementing them as a daily priority. This creates a “filling of my cup” which has now become my regular being. This past week helped me to recall why I’ve made that such a focus and what the benefits are.

What is balance anyway?

Balance is defined by some as a desirable point between two or more opposite forces. The key is that we all have our own idea of balance between all different types of forces in our lives. We find our preferences by exploring each of these forces to their extreme. In these journeys we learn what feels right and what doesn’t. Balance for one person may seem like an extreme imbalance for another. We are all different. It’s amazing to understand more about yourself as you uncover your own balance.

This week I return, dedicated to completing this leap, yet also taking in some time for myself. I take a giant step closer back to my balance – with a new clarity on what that is and renewed gratitude for the blessings I have.

Looking forward to a more balanced week,

by Danielle Crume © 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Happy - From the *Inside* Out

I've always been a people watcher.  As a young girl, I openly looked at everyone I came in contact with, wondering who was the happiest?  It was a little disheartening during my exploration to uncover that it seemed that almost everyone had a significant amount of unhappiness and troubles in life.  I guess I wanted to live a fairy tale.  Some people, however, had a great time with life, even through its challenges. I noticed that those who were overall most happiest usually had a sense of humor about their experience.  They weren't richer, more beautiful, or better off.  They were just happy with what was and were strong in rolling with it.  Everyone goes through hard times. Being truly happy is not by getting somewhere or accomplishing something.  It is a part of who you are .  It is your character, your essential being, the fabric of you.  Children are often born with a knowing of it, but many of us lose touch with this understand...

Licorice Grandpa

In high school I wrote this story about my beloved Grandpa Chuck.  I just read it again yesterday for the first time in 15 years to my son.  I am very thankful to remember these details I had forgotten and to share the essence of such a wonderful man with my boy.   I also realized how much of an impact he has made on me that still holds in my character today.  In memory of grandpa, here is the story.  Slightly edited. :) Licorice Grandpa My grandpa was simply the best.  There is no way I can describe what an incredible person he was.  He seemed to be the only grandpa alive who was still "a kid" inside.  It is because of these reasons that my grandpa Chuck has made an impact on how I live my life today. One of the best memories I have of my grandpa is going to his house every holiday.  My family would enter my grandparent's huge immaculate house and be overtaken with the strong thick smell of my grandpa's pipe.  As soon as we ...

Love Is

“…And the greatest of all these is love.” ~Corinthians You could explore and study love for your whole lifetime and still never fully understand it. You may only catch a glimpse of its fascinating possibilities. Love is one of those expansive eternal forces - far beyond our senses’ ordinary perception. It is something many dream of, imagine about, and wait for. Some say love is the essence of all there is and that love is the answer. Some say love hurts or it doesn’t even exist. Some prophets say that there is only love or fear at the root of everything - and that love is the only truth. We all have different versions and understandings of love - which evolve throughout our lifetime. They may range from a feeling for a soul mate to one about a favorite shirt. Love can be a sweet nickname or a feared word. Some express it with tenderness, others with strength. Some say I love you to everyone. Some reserve it only for “the one”. Others never say it at all. It can be as simple a...